From an IT perspective, an enterprise is a midsize to large business or organization.
These range from small local government organizations, to large multinational companies like banks.
While some characteristics are like smaller networks, there are some big differences.
- In most cases, there are many offices, maybe hundreds, each with their own LANs
- Remote offices connect to bigger offices with WANs
- There are more than one internet and WAN connections, to provide redundancy, in case one fails
- This type of network has lots of routers, switches, access points, and other network technologies
- Some server equipment at head offices, and some at data centres
- There is a high variety of IT technologies to achieve the business goals
- They have a need for very high uptime
- The network needs to be high-speed, and very reliable